Saturday, January 13, 2007

Student Motivation

On Friday, I asked a few of my students if they were motivated to do well in school and what motivated them to do well. One girl thought about it for a while, and then said, "Yes, because if I don't have good grades then I can't date my boyfriend." "That's what my mom said." She doesn't seem to care that her future will depend on her education, but she wants to date her boyfriend. I then asked that girl if her parents were involved in her schooling or asked how school was and if she had any homework, and she said no. Another girl told me that her mom says that if she doesn't do well in school its her own fault, she has no control over it. One boy that I talked to said, that he gets good grades because he knows if he didn't, he would be in so much trouble with is parents. A few other girls overheard us talking and they said they come to school to look at the boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why should students be motivated to do what they're told to do in school? The pie in the sky way down the road can't mean too much to a fourteen year old.

I ask because my son only does (a) what he like to do, some of which gets him strokes at school, (b) and what he has to do, but doesn't like to do, because of the consequences of not doing it.