Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Documentary

Over a few weeks I have been watching a Hanson documentary on itunes. The movie is not released yet, so they are showing episodes in podcasts. The documentary was filmed in 2004 and shows the struggle the band faced with their record label and the issues in the music business today. It is also the steps that took them to create their own independent label and record their music on their own. As I am watching this, I was thinking about my own documentary. They have someone taping the documentary, they are not filming it themselves, so its a little different from what I am doing. However, they have interviews with them, speaker phone conversations with men from the label they are fighting with, collaborations with other writers, and then time in the studio when they are actually recording. They are telling a story through their documentary, something that Bill and I had talked about last week. I began a story board of how I want my documentary to be and I realized that I need some more shots of students just learning in the classroom maybe, as well as some more shots of people from Upward Bound talking about motivation and how the students are motivated to learn and what they people there do to help, so I can look for a solution to motivation.

2 comments:

Chelsea Miller said...

It sounds like you are making some real headway with your project. It's great that you are doing a documentary. This is unrelated to your post, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. For another class, I read an article about school crime and its possible relation to extrinsic motivation. The article discussed the concept of "flow" and intrinsic motivation and its value in the classroom (Csikszentmihayli & larson). It talked about how extrinsic rewards are what school is all about (grades, test scores), but that it should not be this way. The article was rather old (1978), but very interesting. I know that intrinsic motivation can be very powerful tool and if we could get students intrinsically motivated, they would probably learn more. The question is: how do we do that?

Unknown said...

You're making great progress with this, both in terms of conceptualization and filming. When doing your story-board, I wouldn't take it as your responsibility to solve the problem of motivation. It might be more interesting to investigate what the problem really is, or whose problem it is. It may not be the kind of problem that can be solved.